Autobiography | Ballet | Books | Cyber Ashram | Dolls | Gardens | Kinesthetic | Meditation & Prayer | Recipes | Rhythmic Dance | See America | Sew for Kids | Sitemap | Spirituality | Stan Schaap | Stories | Updates | Yoga
- Having Fun While Keeping Busy
Photos by Susan Kramer and Stan Schaap
How we built the main greenhouse:
1. June 14, 2017 - Introducing our 2nd greenhouse, constructed a few days ago. It is from a kit, put together by Stan. Metal frame with a tent-like cover of green thread enmeshed in thick clear plastic, measuring 6 feet wide and 3 feet deep. The front panel is shown rolled up, but can be zipped close. This greenhouse is to protect our outdoor vines from hail - our biggest summer problem for thin-leaf plants. We just planted 2 small-type pumpkins plants and 1 zucchini plant. Plus flowers surrounding to attract bees.
2. June 14, 2017 - Here we see the inside of the glass house with a view through the side wall of the new greenhouse. To the left is a bag of potatoes, then 2 large tomato plants and along the right side 2 more bags of potatoes and 1 climbing cucumber plant. Even at this early date all plants in here are fruiting. They were started mid-April.
3. June 14, 2017 - Another view of both greenhouses. Also the shed overhang to the right that we use for staging and storage of pots and potting soil.
4. June 14, 2017 - To the left is our new sundeck living up to its name. This area used to be covered by the cypress tree which we radically trimmed a month ago, both from top and bottom.
5. June 14, 2017 - The 3 plants in our new greenhouse. L to R: pumpkin, pumpkin, zucchini. Over to the left of the greenhouse is a fruiting apple tree trained against the wall.
6. June 14, 2017 - Our flower wall, this year planted with pink and red geraniums and doing well.
7. June 14, 2017 - 2 weeks ago Stan built this sundeck in the space made by trimming out the lower branches of the cypress tree.
8. June 14, 2017 - 3 weeks ago Stan trimmed the cypress tree shown in the center of the photo. It used to be 6 feet taller, and below the lower branches it was full to the ground. In the space made at the lower end Stan then built the sundeck shown in the previous photo.
Page will be updated during the summer …